Friday, May 27, 2022

Drive from Kalimpong to Hyderabad

Total distance driven: 2189 km

Total time taken: 40 hours 2 minutes 

Average fuel economy: 13.8 km/l

Car: Audi A4 Petrol 

Total Toll Tax: 

Passengers: 2 adults 

Luggage: Packed to the brim 

Route: Kalimpong - Siliguri - Kolkata - Bhubaneswar - Vizag - Hyderabad

Trip Summary

Click here for the onward journey

Day 1: Kalimpong to Siliguri - The onward journey to Kalimpong was done with only 2 stops, Vizag and Kolkata. That kind of driving works for me but not for Supriya. So, we decided that for the return journey we would take 4 stops instead of 2. The first stop was supposed to be in Siliguri, I did my research and found that there is a Marriott Bonvoy in Siliguri. Booked our stay there for 1 night. On the d-day, had proper breakfast, packed our stuff in the car boot and left well past 9 AM.  The route from Kalimpong to Siliguri has a lot of car and taxi traffic, though it was only for a couple of hours. We reached Siliguri, check-in the hotel, had our lunch, relaxed for the rest of day, getting ready for the toughest leg of the journey – Siliguri to Kolkata – the most dreaded road trip in this entire stretch. 


Day 2: Siliguri to Kolkata - As expected this part of the trip was supposed to be the toughest. The primary reason was the pathetic road conditions, pathetic traffic and the highways going through the villages in the entire stretch. I can confidently say that out of all the road trips that I have done till date, my worst experience has been in the roads of West Bengal. Every other state seems to be better than this one. I somehow managed this journey and by evening reached Kolkata. I was dead tired by the time we reached and knowing so I booked our stay in Taj Bengal, Kolkata so that, if not anything else, atleast the stay part should be good. We left Siliguri at 5 AM and reached Kolkata by 6-30 PM. 


Day 3: Kolkata to Bhubaneswar – While booking for a night stay in Bhubaneswar, I came across a few good names. I booked our stay in Taj Vivanta, as that was exactly beside the highway and was almost at the other end of Bhubaneswar, making our exit form BBSR next day a lot easier. The hotel was very nice, I think one of the best Vivantas I have seen out of the entire chain. The food was very nice and the staff was excellent. The drive from Kolkata to Bhubaneswar was very cool and even though we left after breakfast from Kolkata at around 8 AM, we managed to reach Bhubaneswar by 2-50 PM. The road condition was decent and the traffic was also not much.  


Day 4: Bhubaneswar to Vizag – This was undoubtedly the best stretch in the entire journey, not just about the road condition but also about the density of the traffic. While leaving from Vivanta BBSR, the TPMS of the car started showing warning signs. Check the tyre pressure and there was a drop in pressure in the left rear tyre. Immediately pumped up the pressure using my double barrel air pressure pump, reset the TPMS and started the journey again. The puncture was not big enough to cause sudden drop in pressure, but I might have to pump up the pressure once again when I reach Vizag. I planned that if I can manage pumping up the pressure once or twice in the entire trip, then I will get the puncture checked only when I reach Hyderabad. Luckily the TPMS did not show any other sign until Vizag. We had our proper breakfast at Vivanta and left at about 8 AM and reached Vizag at 2-30 PM. We booked our stay at Marriott Vizag. I would definitely not recommend anyone staying at the hotel. The color shades that they have used inside the room are absolute disgrace, the staff / manager at the front desk were the worst I have seen till date. They have absolutely no regard for the customer. I would rather recommend people to stay at The Park, Vizag. I think that is the best hotel out of the lot. Even the Taj Gateway does not come any close to The Park. Marriott Vizag is best avoided if you want peace of mind. 


Day 5: Vizag to Hyderabad – Left after breakfast around 7-40 AM. The Vizag traffic was also in its full swing. Although the road condition is decent between Vizag and Hyderabad, the traffic is a lot. Besides you also have to go past Vijaywada though the city which adds a needless hour to the entire drive. Luckily the entry to Hyderabad is always cool as the last stretch of the journey happens through the international class ORR, which makes the end of the journey peaceful. Reached home at about 5-30  PM. 


At the end of the journey, the car completed 36,000 km. The tyres were almost worn out, got them replaced. The OEM tyre was Continental Sport, this time Audi workshop recommended me to get Pirelli. Got all the 4 replaced for about 70k and asked them to do the 3rd servicing too as I completed 15,000 km after the 2nd service, although it was only 7 months since I got the last servicing done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment