Saturday, February 25, 2023

Bird Watching in Lakh Bahosi Bird Sanctuary Kannauj

Route:  Lucknow – Lakh Bahosi (Kannauj) – Lucknow 


This time I planned to stay in Lucknow for atleast a month. Also being the end of February, I had some chances to still catch the migratories. Last time when I visited Lucknow, I covered Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary and Samaspur Bird Sanctuary. This time I decided to cover Lakh Bahosi Bird Sanctuary in Kannauj. Another reason to do this trip was that it was primarily through Lucknow Agra Expressway which I have never covered before and this time I had a better camera and lens than what I had before. Earlier I was with Canon 70D with 400mm f/5.6. This time I was with Canon R5 with 400 mm f/4 (A big upgrade) All the more reason to make that trip. 


I started from Lucknow around 9 AM. It was a 2.5 hours drive of 150 km. Most of the stretch goes through Agra Lucknow Expressway. Only the last 30 km is through village roads. But the roads are decent enough. There’s an entry fee for the sanctuary, also there would be camera fees too if you are carrying a dslr (or mirrorless these days). There isn’t any option to eat, so it’s better to carry your lunch, food, water, etc. I went on a Saturday, yet there wasn’t any crown what so ever. I was the only one visitor in the entire sanctuary. The villagers were quite excited though watching the Audi and also my camera lens. The birds were aplenty, if you can spend about 3-4 hours there, you will end up getting some decent shots. I had my lunch there which I packed from home. Since it was getting hot I did not spend a lot of time birding and reached back Lucknow by 4 PM. 


Enjoy the pics below. 

Northern Shoveler male

Northern Pintail male

Gadwall male

Gadwall female

Lesser Whistling Duck

Pheasant-tailed Jacana

Common Pochard female

Little Grebe

Tufted Duck male


Ferruginous Duck (in the centre)

Northern Pintail male

Indian Pond Heron



No comments:

Post a Comment